Independent Shops & Boutiques
Located 2 miles out from Warrington Town Center, Stockton Heath is a Village that has successfully maintained its charecter and its ‘olde worlde’ charm. with its wide range of fashionable shops and restaurants, It is deemed a ‘hamlet of little consequence’ when it first featured as Stoken in a 1739 map of Cheshire. It is now a thriving place to live, work and party, with great Bars & Restaurants.
Life of the Village focuses around Victoria Square, at the crossroads of the A49 and A56. This is where until the 1970s, the Victoria Hotel stood. Situated North of the square is the main shopping area. This area includes the Forge shopping centre, developed on the site of the old forge (Caldwell’s).
The Pub 'Red Lion Inn' Opened it's doors in the early 19th century while Mulberry Tree on Victoria Square opened in its present building,replacing earlier premises dating from 1725, in March 1907. The regeneration of the area in the 19th century resulted in the village having the first tramway route closed and replaced the trams with buses in 1931.
The name itself is a compound of two Old English elements - ‘stoc’ and ‘tun’, meaning the tun belonging to a cattle or dairy farm and the village’s past dates back to Roman Times. After Excavations of the surrounding area, they have unearthed a Roman mask, that happens to be one of only a handful found in Europe and there is also a road called the 'Roman Road' running through Stockton Heath village.
eMail: So-Stocktonheath@mail.com for more information.